Paulsen received an associates degree from Snow College in English in 1957, a bachelors degree from BYU in Political Science in 1961 (in which he was BYU's valedictorian), a JD from the University of Chicago Law School in 1964, and a Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Michigan in 1975, with emphasis in the the philosophy of religion.
Paulsen is married to Audrey Lucille Leer and has six children and eleven grandchildren.
Paulsen joined the philosophy department at BYU around 1972 and specializes in Kierkegaard, William James and the philosophy of religion. In addition to holding the Richard L. Evans Chair, he has also been an Eliza R. Snow Fellow at BYU.
Paulsen has given several lectures related to Mormon Studies, including the 2006 Eugene England Memorial Lecture at Utah Valley University and presentations at conferences of the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research (FAIR). He presented on the "The Divine Feminine" at the 2009 BYU Women's Research Institute Colloquia. Paulsen was also the coordinator for the Society of Christian Philosophers inaugural inter-mountain meeting at BYU in 1992.
Paulsen edited Mormonism in Dialogue with Contemporary Christian Theologies along with Donald W. Musser. Paulsen has contributed articles to The International Journal for the Philosophy of Religion, Analysis, The Harvard Theological Review, Faith and Philosophy and Speculative Philosophy. Paulsen also wrote the forward to The Mormon Doctrine of Deity: The Roberts-Van Der Donckt Discussion Paulsen has also written several articles for both the FARMS Review and BYU Studies.
- ↑ Paulsen, David L.; Donald W. Musser (2007). Mormonism in Dialogue With Contemporary Christian Theologies. Macon, Georgia: Mercer University Press. p. iv. ISBN 0-88146-083-4. http://books.google.com/books?id=f4aYe_EbAQAC&pg=PP8. Retrieved 2009-12-29.
- ↑ "Vita" (PDF). College of Humanities, Brigham Young University. July 2006. http://humanities.byu.edu/philosophy/FacVitae/PaulsenDavid.pdf. Retrieved 2009-12-29.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Skinner, Andrew. "Session 4 opening remarks" (MP3). The Worlds of Joseph Smith. Library of Congress and Brigham Young University. http://broadcast.lds.org/JosephSmithBroadcast/4_wofjs.mp3. Retrieved 2009-12-29. Paulsen introduction from 4:10–5:45.
- ↑ 2008 lecture announcement with listing of past lecturers
- ↑ Beckwith, Francis J.. "What Does Jerusalem Have to Do with Provo?". Christian Research Institute. http://www.equip.org/articles/what-does-jerusalem-have-to-do-with-provo-. Retrieved 2009-12-29.
- ↑ Signature Books link for The Mormon Doctrine of Deity
- ↑ text of Holland's talk with footnotes
- Paulsen's vita
- Meridian Magazine listing of speakers at an upcoming FAIR conference
- Mormon Literature Database entry for Paulsen
- Author bio from FARMS
- BYU Studies listing of articles by Paulsen